In light of the current COVID-19 situation, UA Local 71 wants to advise its members of the following measures to protect the health and safety of our members, our employees, our families and our community.

Effective March 16, 2020

The Office of UA Local 71 will remain open during regular business hours, with a reduced staff complement. The following changes will be made to our operations:

  • There will be no walk in visitors to the Office.
  • If you need to speak to any officer or employee of the Union, you can contact the office during business hours, or can call:
    • Angus Maisonneuve, Business Manager, 343-997-7171
    • Brent Payne, Assistant Business Manager, 613-291-2291
    • Pierre Jodoin, Business Agent, 613-360-5583
    • Marc Laframboise, Business Agent, 613-799-3572
  • Dues will not be accepted in person. Payment can be made by mail or e-transfer
  • All referral slips will be provided by e-mail and/or fax to the contractor and the member
  • The regular membership meeting scheduled for March 25th will be cancelled.
  • All in person training classes at the UA Local Training Centre will be cancelled until further notice

Any member who has recently travelled out of Canada, or any member with a family member who has recently travelled out of Canada, or anyone who has any symptoms of the COVID- 19 disease must follow all public health directives. Further information can be obtained on line at :

As we all know, this is an evolving situation and UA Local 71 will respond as and when necessary. Further information will be provided via notice to all members and via the UA Local 71 website.

Thank you for our cooperation and understanding.
Angus Maisonneuve
UA Local 71 Business Manager

  • Local 71

    United Association of Journeymen and
    Apprentices of the Plumbing and Pipefitting
    Industry of the USA and Canada

What's New

COVID-19 Employment Insurance Benefits Update

A high number of Canadians are applying for Employment Insurance ("EI") benifits due to an interuption in earnings caused by layoffs, sick leave, quarantine, and terminations resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic disruption.

Changes to Federal EI benifts in response to COVID-19

click here to read more

How to Apply for EI during COVID-19

Here is a document on How to Apply for EI during COVID-19

Click here to download

Protocols and Procedures

If for any reason you find that your construction site is not following protocols and procedures, please file a complaint with the Health and Safety Contact Centre at 1-877-202-0008

The Ontario Pipe Trades Council is soliciting the Government of Ontario

The Ontario Pipe Trades Council is soliciting the Government of Ontario on our behalf to take concrete and meaningful steps to protect the health and safety of the UA’s membership and families. We are calling on the Premier and the Minister of Labour to immediately issue an Order making it mandatory for construction employers to implement specific minimum standard protocols and procedures that address and mitigate the COVID-19 risk on construction sites including, and without limitation:

click here to read full article

OCA Proposed Protocol on JOBSITE MEASURES to be taken with Covid-19
Click here to down load the article
Notice of death
It is with deep regret and sadness that we announce the passing of one of our members Larry Boisvenue who past away March 21, 2020 at the age of 62,  Mr. Boisvenue was a member of Local 71 since September 10, 1990 .  Information will follow.
  1 2 3 4 5  ...   

Happy Birthday

Roger Saumure

Aiden Jodoin

Jean Rivard

As a member of UA local 71, with proof of your membership, you will benefit of great discounts* on all of your purchases.

*Discounts varies from 10 to 30%

540, Saint-Joseph boulevard, Gatineau, QC J8Y 4A3
819-770-5503 -


Canadian Parental Wellness Program

Pregnancy Benefit

Click to download details

Annual Children's Christmas Party

Do not forget the annual Christmas party for children, Saturday December 7th at the RA Center located at 2451 Riverside Drive Ottawa. The doors open at 9:30 am and the show starts at 10:30 am. Only children already registered are admitted to the party. Thank you and hope to see you there.

BILL 148 – PEL settlement

PEL settlement between the OPTC and MCAO (ICI Only). The nuts and bolts of it is - its to be paid on Base Rate plus Holiday on all hours earned – Retro Active to January 1 2018.

Click to download >> Bill 148 PEL-settlement

Cannabis act

*In regards of the new Cannabis act effective October 17TH 2018, we wish to inform you that UA local 71will follow the article 42 of the Ontario Provincial Agreement.

UA Canadian Standard for Excellence

It is the responsibility of the UA member to be fit for duty, ensuring a ZERO tolerance policy, on the job and in the UA local 71 Training classes. Alcohol and Drugs are strictly prohibited.

Mandatory registration

For who: all apprentices without exception
Date: fall session starting week of september 10th /2018
Registration by e-mail: eric@ualocal71.Com

Click here to download the fall courses list


Don’t forget to register to the New Global Harmonized WHMIS, this course is MADANTORY to work in Ontario and Canada by July 2018. Don’t wait to the last minute, register with Eric at the local by email: or call: 613-728-0004

Attention Welders

Starting Friday, July 24th, we are re-starting the "Open Fridays" for the welders who want to come and practice from 7:00am to 11:00am.


9/18/2014 12:00:00 AM
Rules to obtain a competence card from the province of Quebec
Plumbers and Steamfitters
If you are a member residing in Ontario and your licence is valid in Ontario, if you have your Basic Fall Protection, WHMIS, Basic Health and Safety courses of Ontario or your Health and Safety course from the province of Quebec, it’s free. If you don’t have those courses, it’s $10.00. You will have to show proof of residence (driver’s licence) and your licence of the Ministry of Ontario.
If you are a resident of Quebec with a valid licence of Ontario it is mandatory to have your Health and Safety course (ASP) from the province of Quebec, it will cost you $100.00 to get your certificate. Also, for a resident of Quebec, it is possible to avoid this fee of $ 100.00; when renewing; by presenting proof that you worked as a plumber or pipefitter in Ontario. To do so you will need to present to the C.C.Q. the following documents:
  • T4 from previous years 
  • A letter from your Employer indicating the number of hours worked in your trade OR a letter from Local 71, signed by the Business Manager, OR your pay stubs which confirms the number of hours you have worked in the previous years.
If you are a member residing in Ontario and your licence is valid in Ontario and you have your Basic Fall Protection, WHMIS, Basic Health and Safety courses of Ontario or your Health and Safety course from the province of Quebec, it’s $100.00. If not, it is $10.00 more. You will have to show proof of residence (driver’s licence) and a letter from the Union of 750 hours of work in the past year along with a T4 or your pay stubs.
If you are a resident of Quebec and want to renew your CCQ card, you will need to present your T4 or you pay stubs from previous years to prove that you have worked at least 320 hours per year after the expiration date of your license and a letter from your Employer or from Local 71 confirming that you have worked as a welder.
For more information please contact André Rondeau at (819) 246-3771.
1/3/2011 12:00:00 AM
Work Safety
All Affiliates, Members, Executives and Associated Contractors of the Building and Construction Trades Council encourage and support health and safety legislation on all our worksites.
For a safer Ontario, we are urged to call the Ministry of Labour at 1-877-202-0008 to report unsafe labour practice in any Ontario workplace.
Health and Safety is a shared responsibility and we have accepted the challenge from our Minister of Labour, Peter Fonseca, to make sure that everyone returns home safe and sound after work.
Our call to action is 1-877-202-0008. Display it prominently;
Share it widely; Use it wisely; Use it!
Call 1-877-202-0008 to help save a life!
1/2/2011 12:00:00 AM
If you have a Reinstatement
  • You will not be dispatched to work.
  • You will not be eligible for the subsidy program.
  • You will not be entitled to your life insurance.

Please make sure that you are in good standing.